Saturday, May 8, 2010

How about a Hawaiian Shaved Ice?

After agreeing to keep your 2 nephews and niece for 14 days, a "red flag" should go up in your mind when your brother utters the following words on the day before he leaves...
"This is where we keep the toilet auger." Not a good sign.
"This is where we keep the miscellaneous keys that no one really knows what they go to." Oh great.
"Here is where we keep the copy of our wills." What??!!?? I thought this was only for 14 days??!!?
"This is how you open the door to the underground storm shelter." Again, WHAT??!!?

Of course, in all the pre-trip instruction, he never mentioned the weather alert radio. A little warning there would have helped.

My story tonight actually took place a few days ago, but in a sleep-deprived state, I forgot to blog about it. Something reminded me of the incident today and I burst out laughing when I remembered the middle-of-the-night fiasco. So, a few nights ago, a storm came through the area. Nothing too severe but LOTS of rain...and by LOTS, I mean, shortly before bedtime I sent Jacob outside in the elements to search for gopher wood. So, around midnight, the weather alert radio starts on what seems like a never ending cycle of VERY LOUD alerts every 20 minutes or so. When this happens, the first few times, you diligently silence the alarm and then patiently wait to hear the details of the alert. Needless to say, as the night grew on and it was apparent that no severe weather was close to us (it was for Flash Flood Warnings...EVERY time), our patience began to grow thin...to put it politely. Finally, Norm had reached his point. The next time the alert sounded, Norm reached over and pulled the plug directly out of the wall. In the darkness of the room, I only heard him utter the following phrase, "I would like to be ASLEEP when I float away." Uh, Barry, you might have to "reset" the weather alert when you get home.

Well, we're down to the last 64 hours. While out and about today, I actually had someone ask me when the parents were returning. "Oh, Tuesday!" I gleefully replied. The lady looked at me and said, "Wow! Hasn't the time just flown by?!?" Uh. Yeah. Sure. She obviously has not spent very much time with Samuel. I actually heard myself say the following words in the car today, "Samuel, can you let my ears rest for just a minute, please?" He did not understand my question. But, that's okay, because I can now tell you how to get to some new level of Pokemon. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I don't even know what "Pokemon" is, or even if I'm spelling it correctly. I have 3 girls. If he wants to know if there is a new outfit for Kit, the American Girl doll, I'm your woman! But, I love that kid. Before purchasing a Hawaiian Shaved Ice yesterday, he boldly proclaimed that he was going to get a new, wild, crazy flavor. When he returned to the table, I said, "So,what new, wild, crazy flavor did you get?" "Cherry." Way to live on the wild side, kid!


No comments:

Post a Comment