Sunday, May 2, 2010

Conversations with Samuel...

Over the past 4 days, I have had the pleasure of listening and participating in some of the most interesting conversations of my life. For instance, at lunch today, Norm asked the kids if they could have any 2 superpowers, what would they be?

Emily said, "I would want to fly and to make any food appear at any time."

Sabrina said, "I would like the power of invincibility, you know, so no one would see me." (I'm assuming she meant invisibility.)

Kara said, "Cuteness and Laser Eyes." I never realized that "cuteness" was a "superpower".....unless she's planning on distracting the villian with her cuteness while she burns their flesh with her laser eyes.

Samuel said, "I would want to fly AND the ability to make all my cartoons come to life!" Well, let me explain that if you do not know Samuel, you cannot fully appreciate this comment. He loves to draw cartoons. He draws them in the morning during breakfast, he draws them in the car on the way to school, he draws them at school, he even has a three-ring binder that holds all of his prized cartoons. I have been subjected to reading and commenting on all the cartoons multiple times. He even made me help him decide which drawing of a stick-figure looks more like he is running..."with his legs bent like this or like this??" So, now I am picturing all these stick-figure characters running around Barry and Tab's house and yard. I love this kid.

We also had an interesting conversation about the week ahead of us. It seems now that we are looking after 6 kids, ALL with different sports practices/games in the schedule. We found out on Friday that Emily's JV Volleyball practice starts on Monday afternoon at 2:45. I briefly explained to the kids how this all "just fine! We can make this schedule work! No problem!" Samuel just muttered under his breath..."this is crazy!" I totally agree.

Last night before going to bed, Samuel asks me, "What day is this?" I will openly admit that I had to look at a calendar at this point in order to answer him. "Saturday", I say. "Oh, how many days have mom and dad been gone?" he asks. "Well, they left on Wednesday, so, 4 days." I replied. He then asks, "And, when are they coming home?" "They'll be home on the 11th, in 10 days." I said. "Oh boy" was his only response. Apparently, I have not done enough in the past 4 days to gain the confidence of the 9-year-old. However, in my defense, he did ask me to buy more Jumbo Krispies at the store tomorrow...at least he likes my choice in cereal!

And, just for the record, one package of Double Stuf Oreos last about 2 hours in a house with 8 people, a gallon of milk lasts about an hour and a half (which makes the people with the last 30 minutes of Oreos pretty upset), and a loaf of bread lasts one meal if eating sandwiches. Thankfully, Tab left me a box of Capri-Sun in the fridge to "help with the lunches for school." It was a package of 10...we use 6 at a time...you do the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment